Diploma of Animation & Digital Video
Full time, 35 or 41 weeks, level 5, NZQA approved
Are you fascinated by the sight and sound of moving images or inspired by 3D imagery? Do you want a career in 3D animation or digital video production? Then the Diploma of Animation and Digital Video is the ideal launching pad for you.
This is where you'll develop your storytelling and design skills; learn the basics of digital audio and digital video production and the principles of animation.
You will find out how to put it all together and add the perfect finishing touches using the latest post production techniques.
This course has grown out of Natcoll's highly successful Diploma of Multimedia. This course provides a pathway to Yoobee School of Design's Level 6 Diploma of Digital Filmmaking (Advanced) or Diploma of Animation (Advanced), where you'll be able to further develop your skills in your chosen area of specialisation and put real polish on your portfolio or showreel.
Class sizes are restricted with an average of 18 - 20 students per class.
- Story-telling - develop storytelling skills essential to communication using animation and moving images
- Image manipulation - capture, edit, create and manipulate images
- Design - learn the principles of design and design processes
- Introduction to video post production - learn post production processes, including editing, motion graphics and visual effects; produce a complete video project
- Introduction to 3D modelling - model a range of hard body and organic 3D forms; surface, light, composite and render simple 3D scenes
- Audio post production - record voiceovers, edit music and voice tracks; create soundtracks
- Introduction to 3D animation - critically evaluate animation; produce a 3D animation
- Individual project - a video or animation project of your own design
- Workshops - develop essential skills and knowledge for animation and video production.
* Course content is subject to change to ensure continued industry relevance.
Note: classes run Monday to Friday.
- Assessment is standards-based, which means you need to meet all the standards set for a particular task.
- There are no marks or examinations.
- All projects must be produced to a commercial standard.
- You are encouraged to develop technical skills and your own design style.
- Reassessment opportunities are available.
- Minimum 80% attendance requirements apply.
Equipment & Software
- Apple Macintosh computers
- Digital video cameras
- Sound recording equipment
- Video production room with studio lighting and green screen
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe After Effects
- Adobe Illustrator
- Autodesk Maya
- Apple Final Cut Pro
- Apple Soundtrack Pro
You are required to show us your creativity by submitting some examples of your work in a medium of your choice. A working knowledge of digital imaging software such as Adobe Photoshop and illustration software such as Adobe FreeHand or Adobe Illustrator is an advantage.
Course Fees & Related Costs
Domestic students: $6,440
International students: $18,375
Domestic course fees are GST inclusive. Course fees could be subject to change.
For some items the cost will vary depending on the brand of item purchased or on the student’s individual needs. Students are encouraged to discuss the items with their tutor before purchasing.
- 1 visual diary
- Software manuals
- 300 print credits
- Monthly internet quota
Essential items to purchase
- External Firewire hard drive –
up to $200
- 1 MiniDV video tape – approx. $15
- Headphones – approx. $60
- 1 SD card – approx. $8
- 10 CD labels – approx. $15
- 10 CD presentation cases – approx. $50
- Storage media (extra CD/DVDs) – up to $70
- Extra print credits – up to $80 (if you exceed provided quota)
- Extra internet quota – up to $100 (if you exceed provided quota)
- Sundry stationery – up to $100
- YOOBEE @Natcoll liaises closely with the video, animation and interactive industries to ensure the latest commercial practices are taught.
- YOOBEE @Natcoll encourages students to work on real industry projects.
These connections with industry mean you will have the skills needed to maximise your potential in the follow-on Digital Filmmaking (Advanced) and Animation (Advanced) diplomas.
Successful graduates can seek entry level positions in the video or animation industries as, for example:
- Motion graphics designers
- Video editors
- 3D animators
- Visual effects artists
However, our industry contacts suggest a minimum of two to three years study is more desirable.
Develop your skills in your chosen area of expertise with Natcoll's Level 6 Diploma of Digital Filmmaking (Advanced) or Diploma of Animation (Advanced), or broaden your skills through one of YOOBEE @Natcoll's other diploma courses.
Diploma of Animation and Digital Video
|7 July 08 - 25 March 09
9 February 09 - 14 December 09
6 July 09 - 23 March 10
|21 July 08 - 8 April 09
9 February 09 - 15 December 09
14 April 09 - 23 December 09
14 July 09 - 31 March 10
|21 May 08 - 23 March 09
9 February 09 - 14 December 09
1 April 09 - 16 December 09
25 May 09 - 17 February 10