Diploma of Computer Graphic Design
Full time, 35 or 41 weeks, level 6, NZQA approved
Develop your own design style and make your passion for design a pathway to a great new career. Our Computer Graphic Design course combines creativity with technology to communicate ideas and information in an attractive, clear and concise way.
The Diploma of Computer Graphic Design will provide you with the practical skills employers want, and give you a sound knowledge of print design theory.
The course will teach you how to design and produce a wide range of printed material to commercial standards. It will equip you with the skills you need to keep up with the fast pace of technological change.
Class sizes are restricted with an average of 18 - 20 students per class.
- Layout design - study the principles of page design, and learn how to design and layout documents for effective communication
- Digital illustration - learn digital illustration and editing methods using a range of techniques
- Image capture - study the creation of digital imagery, including image capture, digital manipulation and preparation for print -
- Design and visualisation - explore a wide range of creative and design processes to achieve effective visual communication
- Branding and advertising - investigate the importance of company branding and production of effective advertising material
- Pre-press and problem-solving - prepare electronic files for commercial printing, solve the problems associated with producing a quality output
- Packaging - design and produce printed packaging items
- Typography - explore the nature and treatment of type and its applications.
* Course content is subject to change to ensure continued industry relevance.
Note: classes run Monday to Friday.
- Assessment is standards-based, so you need to meet all the standards set for a particular task.
- Some projects enable you to gain PrintNZ Training unit standards.
- There are no marks or examinations.
- All projects must be produced to a commercial standard.
- You are encouraged to develop technical skills and your own design style.
- Reassessment opportunities are available.
- Minimum 80% attendance requirements apply.
Equipment & Software
- Apple Macintosh computers
- Digital cameras
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Acrobat
You are required to show us your creativity by submitting examples of your work in a medium of your choice.
Yoobee's Certificate in Digital Media (iCreate) provides an excellent pathway into this course.
If English is not your first language an IELTS 6.0 Academic (no subtests lower than 5.5) or equivalent is required. You can also sit for a Free Yoobee Online English Placement Test as an alternative proof of English level. Contact us for more details.
Course Fees & Related Costs
Domestic students: $6,958
International students: $21,300
Domestic course fees are GST inclusive. Course fees could be subject to change.
For some items the cost will vary depending on the brand of item purchased or on the student’s individual needs. Students are encouraged to discuss the items with their tutor before purchasing.
- 1 visual diary
- Software manuals
- 10 DVDs – provided
- 10000 print credits
- Monthly internet quota
- Payment to have unit standard credits gained recognised by NZQA
Essential items to purchase
- External hard drive 250GB (at least) – up to $200
- Folders for filing briefs, notes and projects – up to $20
- Portfolio – up to $180
- Drawing materials – up to $100
- Metal ruler and knife – up to $50
- Binding, paper and mounting board – up to $100
- Glue – up to $90
- Sundry stationery – up to $80
- Drawing paper – up to $20
- Additional visual diaries – up to $30
- Extra print credits – up to $100 (if you exceed provided quota)
- Extra internet quota – up to $50 (if you exceed provided quota)
- Specialty printing papers – up to $140
- Digital camera – up to $300
- Yoobee liaises closely with printers, designers and pre-press houses to ensure the latest industry practices are taught.
- Yoobee encourages students to work on real industry projects.
- Yoobee also accommodates apprentice training for PrintNZ Training, the printing industry's official training organisation.
Our connections with industry mean you will have the skills needed to hit the ground running once you finish your course.
A wide range of career opportunities in many different organisations are available for Diploma of Computer Graphic Design graduates, including positions involving:
- Copy and digital centres
- Design studios
- Advertising agencies
- Desktop publishing
Alternatively, sign up for a print apprenticeship and use the PrintNZ unit standard credits you gain from the course to receive significant credit towards the Printing Industry's National Certificate of Digital Processes for Print. This is the main qualification for apprentices in the graphics and pre-press industry. Please note all four PrintNZ unit standards assessed in the Diploma of Computer Graphic Design course require students to pass a colour vision test before the student is eligible to be awarded the standard.