Diploma of Web Development
Full time, 41 weeks, level 6, NZQA approved
The Internet has revolutionised the way we communicate, shop, bank, play games and share information. The pace of change and demand for talented Internet professionals continues to grow.
Yoobee School of Design's Diploma of Web Development students learn the web programming, design and usability skills needed to build feature-rich, database-driven websites that are easy to use, look good and can incorporate complex features like, for example, shopping carts and auctions.
By the end of the web development course you will work independently to produce an online portfolio to showcase your design and technical skills - prospective employers will see you've got the right stuff.
Class sizes are restricted with an average of 18 - 20 students per class.
- Client-side development - learn XHTML syntax and techniques; how to develop forms; how to centralise formatting control using Cascading Style Sheets; you will be introduced to algorithms and simple object oriented programming concepts; learn browser scripting including event handlers, rollovers, form validation, browser checking etc; compare platforms and their limitations
- Web communication - focus on how web pages communicate their message to the viewer; apply the principles of visual design to web pages; prepare and manipulate images for the web; apply the principles of User Centred Design (UCD) in developing a web interface; employ user testing and feedback mechanisms to refine the design and usability of a website
- Advanced client-side - learn how to use HTML5 and other new and developing technologies to produce leading edge web designs, including video, audio and more, and to design and produce mobile web applications
- Server-side development - learn relational database design and use with MySQL; server-side programming using PHP; Structured Query Language (SQL) syntax and techniques; database-driven website design; introduction to Object Orientated (OO) programming principles and administration of server-side hosting environments
- Advanced studies - look at a range of advanced topics, both design and development focused; things like industry standard content mangement systems, how to handle credit card payments, Google maps, Ajax, code libraries, how to make sites for mobile phones and for the disabled, etc
- Industry project - plan, document, code and present a dynamic, database-driven web application to an industry standard
- Portfolio - create an online portfolio that demonstrates your skills.
* Course content is subject to change to ensure continued industry relevance.
Note: classes run Monday to Friday.
- Assessment is standards-based, which means you need to meet all the standards set for a particular task.
- There are no marks or examinations.
- All projects must be produced to a commercial standard.
- You are encouraged to develop technical skills and your own design style.
- Reassessment opportunities are available.
- Minimum 80% attendance requirements apply.
Equipment & Software
- Dual screen Apple iMacs running both Mac and Windows operating systems
- Digital cameras
- Modern smartphones to test mobile web apps
- Microsoft XP Professional
- Abobe Dreamweaver
- Adobe Photoshop
You must provide evidence of interests and skills relevant to this course - for example, previous experience with a computer programming or scripting language, logical thinking and/or problem solving.
Yoobee's Certificate in Digital Media (iCreate), Diploma of Interactive Design and our secondary school Creating Futures web design or multimedia programmes provide excellent pathways into this course, as do short courses in Dreamweaver, HTML or PHP.
If English is not your first language an IELTS 6.0 Academic (no subtests lower than 5.5) or equivalent is recommended.
Course Fees & Related Costs
Domestic students - $6,484
International students - $18,375
Domestic course fees are GST inclusive. Course fees could be subject to change.
For some items the cost will vary depending on the brand of item purchased or on the student’s individual needs. Students are encouraged to discuss the items, especially recommended textbooks, with their tutor before purchasing.
- External web hosting
- 1 visual diary
- Software manuals
- 300 print credits
- Monthly internet quota
Essential items to purchase
- USB Flash Drive 4GB (at least) - up to $35
- Recommended textbooks – up to $500
- Sundry stationery – up to $100
- Extra print credits – up to $50 (if you exceed provided quota)
- Extra internet quota – up to $100 (if you exceed provided quota)
- YOOBEE @Natcoll liaises closely with the web development and general IT industries to ensure the latest commercial practices are taught.
- YOOBEE @Natcoll encourages students to work on real industry projects.
These connections with industry mean you will have the skills needed to hit the ground running once you finish your course.
- Web developer
- Web programmer
- Web master
- Web architect
- Web author
- Web specialist
You can use this qualification to move onto a higher qualification such as the Diploma of Digital Media (Advanced) or to broaden your skill-set in another YOOBEE @Natcoll diploma course.