How to Apply

Application Process

Applying to study with us is easy!

  1. Apply online using Enroller , OR
  2. Apply through an international student agent

For questions on the process or your eligibility for one of our courses, contact International Enquiries

Once you are accepted for study, we will send you an Offer of Place, which may include conditions. Please fulfill your conditions and we will issue an Unconditional Offer of Place which you can accept of decline.

From 1st October 2019, you are not able to travel into New Zealand without a visa or NZeTA (Electronic Travel Authority).
See here for more information

Apply for a student visa from Immigration New Zealand. You'll need to pay the tuition fees in full before applying for a visa for New Zealand. If you apply from another country, you may be able to get an ‘Approval in Principle’ before paying course fees.


Entry Requirements

You must be 18 or older, and provide evidence of skills and interests relevant to the course you wish to take. If English is not your first language, you must demonstrate proficiency in English language.

English Language Requirements

  • Level 4 Certificates – IELTS 5.5 Academic (no bands lower than 5.0)
  • Level 5 Diplomas – IELTS 5.5 Academic (no bands lower than 5.0)
  • Other Diplomas and Degrees (Level 6 or 7) – IELTS 6.0 Academic (no bands lower than 5.5)

Equivalent results from alternative international English language tests are accepted (see below):

TOEFL (paper or iBT), Cambridge English Examinations, NZCEL, Pearson Test of English (Academic), City and Guilds IESOL, LanguageCert

See this NZQA guide of up-to-date requirements for each New Zealand programme level and test:

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand.

Important Information

Study and Work in New Zealand

Information on study and work in New Zealand can be viewed at:

If you have already completed a Yoobee Colleges qualification (e.g. a Level 5 and 6 qualification, or a Level 7 qualification), you could be eligible to apply for a post-study work visa.

Note that the policy for this visa was updated in 2018 and the changes have a significant impact on diploma-level graduates.

International Payments

Flywire logo

Flywire is a safe and convenient way to make international payments. Depending on your location, payment options can include local bank transfer (telegraphic transfer), credit card, e-payments, e-wallets, and more. Receive email/SMS text alerts updating you on the status of your payment, or track the progress of your payment online or in Flywire’s app. If you need help to complete your payment, contact

To make a payment, go to, enter your payment amount and country of origin. Then select your payment method.

Student Fee Protection

The New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) requires private training establishments (PTEs) to provide security for the repayment of prepaid fees in the event courses are terminated early. Accordingly, in the event that a course is terminated and alternative tuition services are not provided, the student is entitled to a refund of prepaid student fees (pro rata) for the balance of the course based on the number of full weeks required to complete the course. All student fees paid in advance are held in a trust account managed by the Public Trust. Information can be viewed at:

International Student Refund Policy

Yoobee Colleges has policies and procedures relating to refunds as required by the Education Act 1989. Detailed information on timeframes for refunds and how much may be refunded can be found on page 19 of the International Information and Application Form 2019.

Grievance procedures

If you ever feel unhappy about aspects of your studies, the first thing to do is to talk to international staff on campus, your tutor or the Head of Faculty. We also have free counsellors who can be booked if you need extra support. We’re here to help!

If you feel the issues have not been addressed, you may enter a formal process with NZQA for academic matters, or iStudent Complaints for financial matters. Detailed instructions are found in the Student Handbook and a Code of Practice summary is provided at Orientation.

Interested in kicking off your career?

Our friendly course advisors can help with everything you need to know including an outline of study options, key information about enrolment, and all our campuses spread around New Zealand.